- Hanoi Old Quarter: Packed with charming colonial architecture, Buddhist temples and pagodas, the Old Quarter, located near Hoan Kiem Lake in Hoan Kiem District, is Hanoi’s major commercial district. Its heart and soul is exposed in the ancient commercial streets which are named after their original businesses dating back about 1,000 years.
- There are some destinations that you should pay a visit to at least once namely, Hoan Kiem lake, Hoa Lo prison, St. Joseph Cathedral, Long Bien bridge and Dong Xuan market,…
- Hoan Kiem lake is a slap bang in the middle of Hanoi. It is the first place that you have to drop. If you don’t know what to do after waking up in the morning, wander around Hoan Kiem lake, you will see how a simple life of Hanoians. The old are doing excercise while the children are playing and crying since their mothers are feeding them. It’s fantastic
- Hoa Lo prison: Right there in Hanoi Old Quarter, there is still a huge relics after over 100-year French colonialism – Hoa Lo prison. It seems to be a historic museum with prison’s cells, guillotines and remains of Vietnamese prisoners. Besides, there are some rooms displaying tools and artifacts that American pilots had left when they were captured in Hoa Lo prison. More iconically, they called Hoa Lo prison as ” Hilton hotel” because of humanity treatment of Vietnamese government.
- St. Joseph Cathedral: It is not only the largest chuch in Hanoi but the most crowded gathering of Christians in Hanoi. When it comes to its architecture, it is said to have harmonious combination between Vietnamese and French architecture style with stain glass windows and Gothic domes. But it rarely opens, but at weekends Sunday and Saturday.
- Long Bien bridge: Who knows how many times had this bridge been bombed? Despite of 14 times bombardment, it still witnesses Hanoians’ life and make an important contribution to the transport in Hanoi. Walking along this bridge, you are probably to get the feeling of “Hanoi is so small, people seem to be dwarves and vehicles are little ants”.
- Dong Xuan market: It is the manmade world of whole-sale traders, retailers. All trading activities occur in the largest traditional market – Dong Xuan market. You have gonna catch the images of a man carrying a huge package of clothes or things like that. But be careful, you maynot be cheated unless you know how to bargain.
- Temple of Literature: The Temple of Literature is often cited as one of Hanoi’s most picturesque tourist attractions. Originally built as a university in 1070 dedicated to Confucius, scholars and sages, the building is extremely well preserved and is a superb example of traditional-style Vietnamese architecture. No Vietnamese does not know Temple of Literature – the symbol of education. Especially, in exam season, it is Must-go place for students and their parents to go with a view to passing the exam with flying colors. Besides, there has a variety of ancient sirtes such as doctoral steles, pavilions and passageways that you only see here.
- Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum: It is the resting place of Ho Chi Minh who is our greatest president. The mausoleum is modeled on Lenin’s mausoleum in Russia.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Hanoi City|
|DEPARTURE TIME||8:30Am or 14:30Pm|
Hanoi Free Local Tours is a non-profit organization, By voluntarily taking city tours for English speaking travelers in Hanoi, we hope to help travelers discover culture, tradition and beautiful sight-seeings. Our members help ourselves improve their English skills.
It is a win-win situation.
8:30Am: Pick up
- We pick you up at your hotel or hostel
- We wander around Hoan Kiem lake and listen to its legend
- Then we get inside St. Joseph Cathedral which is the largest church in Hanoi. Take a cup of ice tea near the church
- It takes 5 minutes to go to Hoa Lo prison.
You can see the brutality of the French during the war, and the humanity of Vietnamese government to American pilots
- We stop at some traditional eateries to have lunch with Bun Cha, Pho or other foods.
- The final destination is Temple of Literature that is the first national university in Vietnam.
- We take you back your hotel or hostel.